December 20, 1941 — April 11, 2020

Although Ronald Glen George remained upbeat about kicking his various ailments—so he could again have the freedom to drive around and visit his grandchildren—he instead made his exit from this life on April 11, 2020.

Ron was born in Evanston, Wyoming on December 20, 1941 and grew up in Ogden, Utah, where, according to legend, he roamed the town with reckless abandon with a group of guys and gals that remained lifelong friends. He loved sports and participated in many, though he was especially adept at baseball, spending countless hours crouched behind the plate in his catcher’s gear, wreaking havoc on opposing batters with the artful framing of pitches, but causing even more damage to his knees, a constant source of pain in his later years.

A graduate of Ogden High School, class of 1960, where as a senior he served as Student Body President, Ron went on to get his Bachelor’s Degree at BYU and a Master's in East Asian Regional Studies with an emphasis on Economics from Harvard. He worked for years in the banking industry, taught as an adjunct professor of International Finance at both the University of Utah and Weber State, and he always had his fingers in numerous ventures. Over the course of his life, Ron traveled the world, spending much time in Japan and China, countries he came to love after serving an LDS mission in Japan.

Ron married Judith Porter on December 16, 1964. They had six children: Melissa, Matthew, Ashley, Christian, Amanda, and Michael. They later divorced. Ron taught his children the value of hard play and was always up for a fun excursion, whether there was work to be done or not.

He was particularly proud of being a Grandpa. With his boundless energy and a seemingly wide-open schedule, Ron was a world-class Grandpa to his 15 grandchildren and one great grandchild, often acting as a surrogate Grandpa to their entire neighborhoods. Outgoing and gregarious, Ron could talk anyone’s ear off and often did. He always championed the underdog and made sure that no one was ever left out, even if that meant stuffing 10 or more of his grandkids and their friends into his car for an adventure—seatbelt laws be damned.

He loved Lagoon, parades, swimming pools, sporting events, church, root beer with no ice, and the bin of leftover ice cream treats at Dairy Queen. Well, really any ice cream would do.

He was preceded in death by his parents, Harold and Phyllis, and his sister Edie.

A memorial for Ronald Glen George will be held at a later time when gatherings are permitted.

For anyone interested in sharing photos and memories of Ron, please go to Information about future memorial services will also be conveyed through this website.

Life Story Info

Post Date

Apr 14, 2020

Personal Info


Concerned about this Life Story? Please let us know.
NEXT Elwyn Langley Bergstrom Elwyn Langley Bergstrom


I sadly just found out about Ron passing away by chance.

Just like Jimmy, I also attended this very unique wonderful class in 1997/98 as a foreign student knowing Ron only for a little time. There are few people in life who give you such positive energy with so much heart and wisdom.

His inscription on my thesis as well as his energetic kind being made me looking him up on the net since I wanted to appreciate him with a line for my book.

All the best to your family and all his close friends. Such beautiful energy always persists,

Love & light

Michael , Nuremberg, Bavaria, DE Dec 16, 2021

I have known Ron George since 1972 when he was an international banker at Zions Bank. We served together on several boards and committees, all dealing with international affairs.

Ron was an intelligent, good man and a good friend. I especially enjoyed traveling with him to Asia and So. America and visiting Ron when he was living in Hong Kong.

Ron merited a better place, and must be enjoying himself there.

Dwight Williams , Salt Lake City, UT, US Apr 23, 2020

Ron was a great mentor. He was very intelligent, knowlegdable, and friendly everytime I saw him around. My first time meeting Ron was when he was teaching International Business at Weber State University probably one the best classes, I had during College. May you rest in peace, Professor George.

Jimmy Apr 21, 2020

Having known Ron since the late 70s we saw him thrive and struggle. You kids know how he loved our families always showing interest and concern. We love this man and are sorry he is gone but he suffered greatly. We love all of his family and you know why. Carry on and be strong in all that you do. Love Darrell and Nolene

Darrell Reynolds , Bountiful , UT, US Apr 18, 2020

What a sweet post Darrell and Nolene! I read it three times! I love you guys always! You played a major role in my life (*understatement*) Love, Ash

Ashley Jorgenson , PAULDEN, AZ, US Apr 22, 2020

While my memory is a bit hazy on this one, I believe Ron and I met for the first time in 1955 - when we played the bugle in the Ray Minter's drum and bugle band. There were a few of us that marched together in Ogden parades. I think Ron may have been one of them.

I am certain, however, that we both went to the National Boy Scout Jamboree at Valley Forge, Pennsylvania. After spending two weeks traveling 3000 miles on a bus, you get to know each other. Ronnie and I got along very well because we had similar interests in sports, education, and government.

Our friendship continued as we played basketball at Mound fort and Washington Junior High Schools. It was at that time that I also met Johnny Jones, one of Ron's friends.

We would often see each other in Ogden on Saturdays. In those days downtown Ogden was the place to be for teenagers. Lots of cool stores: Fred M. Nye, Buehler & Bingham, B and B, L. R. Samuels, and the "Blue Door". And, of course, cute girls plus Kay's Noodle Parlor. Incidentally, Calleen and I met at L. R. Samuels in 1965.

In 1960 Ron and I again crossed paths as we became Student-body presidents at Ogden and Ben Lomond High Schools. Johnny was the Historian at Ogden HS. We had a few meetings and functions which also included Lyle Elmore, President at Weber HS. We joked constantly about which school was the best. Ron always won the debate when it came to sports.

One memorable event occurred when students from Ben Lomond burned a "beat Ogden" sign on the Ogden HS grass prior to the "Iron Horse" game. When Dr. McAllister, principal at Ben Lomond, heard about it, he asked that the Student-body officers go to Ogden HS to apologize. We went to Ogden and apologized on behalf of the Ben Lomond students. Ogden's officers were very friendly and even saw it as a fun prank.

One outing after we graduated was when I took Ronnie, Johnny, and Blaine Peterson up to explore "endless cave" in North Ogden. It wasn't really endless, but you could go in for about 200 yards. Ron did not like the caving experience and reminded me about it for many years.

Ronnie, Johnny, Blaine, and I went to BYU after high school. After one semester, Blaine, Johnny, and I joined the Army National Guard. Many kids our age were getting drafted for Viet Nam. In 1961 we all went on church missions: Ron to Japan, John to England, Blaine to Eastern Canada, and I went to Alaska/Canada.

After our missions, Ron and I became friends again. We both worked in downtown Ogden, hung out a little, and went on several double dates. When Ron married Judy, we thought it was neat because Judy was Calleen's (my wife) neighbor on Eccles and an occasional babysitter. Then, we didn't see each other much as school, careers, and families kept us very busy.

One time, Ron and Judy came to see us in Roosevelt when Melissa and Cody were small. I have a photo of us proudly holding up our new babies. We did get together a few other times in Logan and Ogden. Ron would call me every couple of years to report on a promising business venture he was involved in.

Ten years ago, I invited some old high school friends to come to Paradise for lunch and to see some old slides which I had taken in high school and the army. The group included Ronnie, Johnny and Diana, Larry and Janet Seamons, Bob and Louise Hansen, Tom Rothey, Walley and Becky Lynn, and Kent and Sandy Youngman. We spent a couple hours of talking, laughing, and reminiscing over memorable events and friendships of the past.

Ronnie was his gregarious self as he had always been. He was a great friend, and I am sure these relationships will continue hereafter.

Art Jones , Paradise, UT, US Apr 15, 2020