Walters Funeral Homewebsite
Walters Funeral Home610 S CommerceCenterville, TX 75833-0035
On October 20, 1938, Floyd Green and his wife, Earcel, moved to Centerville, from Groesbeck, where he had been managing a funeral home. Mr. Green took over the management of the newly established Burleson Funeral Home, owned by Oliver Burleson. Mr. Burleson also owned Burleson Furniture Store, and for several years both businesses were run out of the same building in downtown Centerville. In 1949, the Greens left Burleson's and went into business for themselves (both the funeral and the furniture business). They purchased the home of Mrs. Wilma McEachern on Hwy 75 South, remodeled the building to use as a place to live, and also established a funeral home there, which they called Green Funeral Home. In 1954, Mr. and Mrs. Green purchased the funeral and furniture businesses of Oliver Burleson from his daughter. The Greens operated their funeral home throughout the 1950s, 60s and 70s, making further improvements to their facilities, which included adding a chapel in the late 1950s to allow funeral services to be held in the funeral home, instead of only in local churches. The couple lived in the funeral home until they built a home for themselves in 1973. In March of 1978, the Greens sold their funeral home to Billy and Carol Walters. Floyd and Earcel continued to own and operate Green Furniture Store until February of 1979, when they sold that business and retired. When the Walters took over Green Funeral Home, Billy Walters had already been involved in the funeral business for many years. He worked for Davis-Morris Funeral. Home in Brownwood while in college, and then worked for Hillier Funeral Home in Bryan for several years. Mr. Walters was working in Madisonville when Mr. and Mrs. Green contacted him about their interest in selling their funeral home. The funeral home has had several name changes over the years since the Walters took ownership. The funeral home remained Green Funeral Home for many years after the sale, then the name was changed to Green-Walters Funeral Home to include the new owners. In recent years, Green was removed from the name, and at the present time, the business is called Walters Funeral Home. In an effort to best serve the city of Centerville and the surrounding communities, the Walters have made several renovations to the funeral home facility, and continue to explore other improvements. The first major renovation happened around 1988, when the Green's old living quarters were remodeled to add office space to the funeral home. Then a decade later, the facility received a total facelift, the most important element of which was a brand new chapel, so that the resulting facility hardly resembles the old. In 2015, the Walters family will have served and been a part of the Centerville community for 37 years. Much can change in so many years, but our commitment to and concern for the families that come to us remain the same.
Don't see your business?
Contact us here to get your business listed above!